The insulation mattings are manufactured according to the AS/NZS 2978-1995 Standard which is set by the Joint Standards Australia/New Zealand Committee EL/4. The electrical safety mats are utilized to protect and insulate people from the fatal shocks generated by the electrical equipments. The exporters and the suppliers of High voltage insulating mats offer all the types of electrical insulation which include switchboard mats for the protection from electrical shocks.
There are two categories of mattings which are available – Class A (Thicker Mats) is utilized for common purpose applications. The Class B (Light Weight) Switchboard matting is meant to be used upon flat indoor surfaces. The different types of these products are manufactured according to the AS/NZS 2978 Standard. The products are utilized to protect the workers wherever circumstances direct towards the possibility of contact with electrical equipment or conductors. The voltage of the conductors do not surpass 650 V a.c. r.m.s. (or d.c.), between the conductors or even between earth and conductors. The manufacturer’s test certificate is also provided along with the supply.
Let us take a look at the features of the insulation mats:
1. The mats are resistant to tear: the mats display proper resistance property measuring 18 N/mm (min).
2. The mats also come with optimum elongation at break or E.B.: The Insulating rubber mats exhibit a value of 200 percent (min.) in terms of E.B.
3. The switchboard mats come with apt tensile strength: the mats possess a Tensile strength or T.S. of 5.0 Mpa (min.)
4. Electrical insulation is also a special feature: the rubber mats exhibit an electrical insulation measuring 160 mA/m2 (max.)
The insulating mat suppliers are the manufacturers of Indian Rubber and Plastic Products which offer a varied range of Industrial products and related services encompassing Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, Safety and Material Handling Applications.
The insulation mattings are delivered by the suppliers according to the ASTM-D-178 Standard. The standard is set by the American Society for Testing and Materials. The mattings are considered to be electrical resistant. The mattings are non-conductive in nature and are meant to protect and insulate. The protection against deadly shocks are caused by high voltage equipment.
The Standard of ASTM-D-178 endorses a thickness of 3.2mm to 12.7mm for the particular mattings. The mattings have a smooth lower surface with the usage or the working voltage resistance and anti-skid textured surface on the top. The rubber mattings (Type-1 Grade) are moisture, water and leakage proof that guarantee a long functional (work) life. The Type-2 Grade Insulating Mat contains certain additional properties such as Flame and Ozone resistance. The Manufacturer’s test certificate is provided along with the supply.
Here are the features of the ASTM-D-178 Insulation mattings.
1. The mattings are resistant to ozone (Type IIA): the type-1 value is N.A. and the Type-2 Value has no visible effect.
2. There is optimum elongation at break (E.B.): the mats exhibit a value of 250 percent (minimum) in terms of E.B.
3. Apt tensile strength: the insulation mats have a tensile strength or T.S. of 4.83Mpa (min.)
4. Resistant to oil or the Type IIC variant: the Type-1 Value is N.A. and Type-2 Value is 4% max. Volume increase.
The insulation matting has another type called the electrical rubber mats of IS 5424. The standard is actually 5424:1969 which aids in offering top quality rubber mats. The electrical rubber mats are highly recommended for the safety of the workmen against any kind of electrical hazard. The rubber mats are immensely economical and suitable for general usage too. The company recommends the usage of the insulated mats according to the latest Indian Standard that is, IS 15652:2006 with regards to electrical insulation.
The material which is utilized in the rubber mats are made out of natural rubber which has good mechanical properties and electrical resistance. The rubber mats are available from 6mm to 25mm thickness in a standard size of 1Mx2M with Fluted or Checkered design. The Manufacturer’s Test Certificate is delivered along with the supply.